I just received a citation. What happens next?
- You must appear at Court on or before the date listed at the bottom of the citation. When you appear, the Court Clerk will explain your options.
- If you plead "not guilty", then the Court Clerk will schedule a time for a pretrial conference. At the pretrial conference, you will talk to the Prosecuting Attorney about your case.
- If you plead "guilty", the Court Clerk can give you information on the penalty.
What is a pretrial conference?
If you pled "not guilty" at your initial appearance (arraignment), then you will be scheduled to have a pretrial conference. At the pretrial conference, you will talk with the prosecuting attorney about your case. You and the prosecuting attorney may come to an agreement to resolve your case at the pretrial conference. If you do not reach an agreement, your case may be scheduled for trial.
How do I get a public defender?
Applications for the public defender are available at the Nez Perce County Courthouse, 1230 Main Street, 2nd Floor, Lewiston, Idaho.
I received a withheld judgment. What happens now?
Once you have successfully completed probation, you will need to file a motion asking the Judge to dismiss your case. The instructions and forms for requesting that your case be dismissed based on a withheld judgment are available here.
How do I bail someone out of jail?
For information about bailing someone out of jail, please read the brochure "So You Want to Bond Someone Out of Jail" which can be found by clicking here.
How do I have my criminal record expunged?
- The Court does not have any forms or information for adult criminal expugment. You will need to contact an attorney for assistance with this legal issue. For help finding an attorney who handles this type of matter, please contact the Idaho State Bar at (208) 334-4500.
- For information and forms regarding expunging juvenile criminal cases, please click here.